The Frigate “Dom Fernando II e Gloria” the last sailing ship built by the Portuguese navy. The wood used was top quality teak. The artillery consisted of cannon in wheeled carriages on the gun deck and carronades on the upper main deck. The ship was launched in 1843 and was named after the Portuguese king and queen. She made her maiden voyage in 1845 and in 1865 she was converted into an artillery training ship. By the time she was retired from service in 1878, the frigate had travelled over 100,000 sea miles, equivalent to five times round the world.